Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, visiting a beauty salon is not possible for the safety of everyone. However, do you know that it is possible to give a new look to your hair without leaving your home? Doing highlights on yourself at home is one of the alternatives you can experience. So, if you follow all my advice and steps, you will have an awesome result!
What are Highlights in the hair?
Highlights are very fine bleached strands that give your hair more shine. To make them, small strands are taken and dyed in a color that is two or three shades lighter than the natural color of your hair.
Highlights are ideal for those who want a lighter hair color but don’t dare to dye their hair completely. Also, the highlights help soften certain features and areas of the face. This hairstyle is an easy way to change up your look without sacrificing your hair too much.
How to make Highlights at home
Do you want to make highlights at home and change the look of your hair? If so, I recommend you follow the following steps so that you can wear a new gorgeous hairstyle without leaving home.
Step 1: Test the bleach with a small piece of hair first.
Trying your highlights kit on a small section of your hair can save you from many inconveniences and regrets. By testing the bleach in one section you will notice how your hair reacts to the product and if the result is what you want.
Step 2: Gather everything you need before you start.
In addition to your highlights kit, you should have a clean toothbrush or small brush on hand. This will make it easier to color the hair more precisely. Either one can create smaller, more specific strokes on the layers. Having all this at hand will save you from wasting time and may even prevent you from over-processing your hair.
Step 3: Prepare your hair and clothes for action.
It is very important that your hair is prepared for this process! Ideally, it should be dry, and its condition should be healthy enough. This so that you can use the products without causing too much damage to your hair.
It is good that you wear old clothes that have the shirt collar large enough for your head to go through without sliding or moving the product that is already applied. Whether it be a large or oversized shirt, a button-down shirt or a hoodie with a zipper would be essential for this process.
Step 4: Follow the kit instructions.
Each highlight kit comes with different instructions. Therefore, I recommend that you read them carefully and follow everything just as it said. One mistake that a lot of people make is that they look up for tutorials from professionals and try to copy them without having any clue of what they are really doing. This could end up in a very bad and unwanted result.
Ignore the tutorials you find online; since they may be using a different kit from yours, or use some techniques that you do not manage. By following the instructions you have on the kit, you are more likely to get the best possible end result.
On the other hand, avoid using aluminum foil at all costs to make your highlights at home. This can speed up the lighting process and cause your hair to become too light, more than what you need. Instead, place a few pieces of cotton on each piece of hair. This way, you will isolate the discolored strands from the rest of your hair and help to keep the bleach active without drying it out. Make sure that the hair has the product well placed so that you do not have stains.
Step 5: If something goes wrong, don’t bleach it again immediately.
If the end result is not what you expected, don’t try to correct it right away. Wait at least two weeks for your hair to recover a bit from the process before trying to dye it again, or you can wait until you have the opportunity to have a professional attend to you.
While you wait, it is best to keep your hair hydrated and conditioned with special products. I recommend that you use those that are color-safe and with sulfate-free formulas.
Remember the following: bleach products are somewhat aggressive for the hair. While you wait the best thing is to keep your hair hydrated with good products such as oils, treatments, leave-ins, etc. It may be more expensive than regular products on the market, but your hair will appreciate it. It is worth buying these expensive products since they are made to truly take care of your hair.
Tips to obtain a perfect Highlight at home
In conclusion, I recommend you to read the following tips so that you can obtain the best results ever.
- Do not use a normal hair dye. A normal hair dye will not give you the same results as a highlights kit. Because of this, I recommend that you do not use it. Be guided by the instructions provided by the kit or, if you have any doubts, you can send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org where I will be super happy to help you.
- Do you want Highlights without using bleach? Use natural products! Although chemicals will always give the best results, it is possible to get highlights without bleach. Avoid using homemade mixes that can damage your hair. Instead, use ingredients like cinnamon or honey, which will naturally lighten your hair and will also make it feel healthier.
- Avoid making the strands the same size. Symmetry is not so important in this look, the ultimate goal is to make the reflections look natural. By making each lock exactly the same, the same width, the natural effect won’t be accomplished.
- Don’t bleach your roots. It is best to apply the product 2 inches apart from the root. Otherwise, you can make the highlights not look natural.
- Take time into account! You must be aware that the first piece you painted will be the first to be ready. So, measure the time in which you bleached your first strand so that it doesn’t last longer than necessary under the bleach. It is very important that you record the time and remember with which one you started with so that you do not rinse the strands that aren’t ready ahead of time.
- Use a toner after the bleaching process. This step is usually vital in some cases. This is because some people may have reflections with some yellow, orange, or reddish tones. To achieve more ash and blonde tone, a blue or purple shampoo can solve this problem.
- Invest in good products. After you finish a process like this one, the hair tends to become dehydrated and a little damaged. Therefore, it is very important that you hydrate and nourish your hair again. So, the best thing you can do is buy special and good quality products.
I’m here to help you!
If you’re still not sure about doing them, take your time to think and plan what you really want. Highlights may sound like a complicated process but the truth is one of the easiest hairstyles that can be done. So, if you have any questions regarding the subject of how to do Highlights at home, do not hesitate to contact me at my email email@example.com, where I will be super happy to help you.
If you want to have Highlights in your hair and you are in Miami, I invite you to visit me at Sugar Salon and Spa, where I will be more than glad to help you change your look! Get in touch and book an appointment. But of course, you must carry out all the preventive measures and restrictions that are planted for the COVID-19 pandemic.
How can I highlight my hair at home?
I recommend you follow the steps so that you can wear a new gorgeous hairstyle without leaving home. It only consists of 5 easy steps to make your own highlights at home.
What products do you need to highlight hair?
The essential products for doing highlights are basically the highlight kit and I highly recommend you buy a toner as well so that your hair doesn't have different tones through-out the hair.
Where do you put highlights in hair?
You should place the bleach in the outer layer of your hair and of course, you shouldn't start from the root. Start 2 inches away from your root. Place the highlights wherever you feel and try not to do them all the same thickness so that the natural effect can be achieved.
Is it better to highlight unwashed hair?
Yes. It is highly recommended that you do this process with dirty, unwashed hair to obtain better results.